Saturday 25 February 2012

Review: Weight Watchers Garlic and Herb Chicken Bag 'n' Bake

I eat a lot of chicken. Not every day, but at least 3 times a week, so I'm always looking for new ways to cook it without adding too many ponits/calories. I spotted these new bag 'n' bakes at my meeting this week and for 85p I thought I'd give it a go. I'e cooked with these baking bags before, the idea is that you put your ingredients, meat, veg etc in the bag, add the seasoning and bake, and you end up with moist juicy meat, no added fat and great flavour, and they do work! Chicken breasts come out much less dry than they would simply baked with a bit of foil over the top, and have a nice herby/barbeque/cajun or whatever seasoning.

The one I bought comes in a little box, which contains a favouring sachet, the baking bag and little tag to seal it with. It serves 2 and has a ProPoints value of 0!


The instructions (printed inside the box, took me a while to find them!) say to add 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts and 250g veg to the bag, along with the seasoning sachet. I used more veg than this because I wanted some leftover roast veg for the next day (courgette/zuccini, red onion, red and yellow bell pepper). I also added some new potatoes, so I wouldn't have to cook them separately.

This is what it looked like with everything in - probably too full!

 Seal it up with the tie provided, pierce a couple of holes in the top and put it on the bottom shelf of the oven (the bag mustn't touch any part of the oven) for 45 minutes at 180/360/gas 4. I stuck it in, went for a run leaving Mr FGS strict instructions to leave it alone unless it exploded and it was ready when I got back!


It was very tasty, and I'll definitely try it again, but there are a few changes I'd make. because I used so much veg, and cooked the potatoes in the same bag, the flavour wasn't as intense as I'd have liked. So next time I'd either add a clove of garlic to the bag, or cook the potatoes separately. I'd also change the veg up a bit - on the box it shows baby sweetcorn and cauliflower, which would be tasty! I get bored of the same veg sometimes, and I think roasted baby sweetcorn would be nice.

A medium (165g) chicken breast is 4ProPoints, and we had 200g new potatoes which is also 4PP. All in all 8 points for the whole meal is reasonable, and really I didn't need all of the potatoes. I will definitely buy this again!

What do you think? Have you ever tried a baking bag? What do you do to pep up chicken?

Hx

8 comments:

  1. Mmm, tasty. This looks yum. I love healthy cooking that doesn't take much effort. Can you buy these in the supermarkets? I don't go to meetings anymore because of my schedule, so I just use the online tools. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - ill look out for these! thanks for sharing!

    /Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! Theses look good, I will look out for them at my meeting on wednesday xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look amazing! My mum is set to get me them at her meeting next week now! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. how interesting -- we don't have that product here in the states?!?! wonder why because it looks easy & delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have similar bags, but I've never tried them. I will definitely look into this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen these yet! I'm so going to try them though if I can find them. Thanks for posting about them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i used mine tonight but was just cooking for one so just used half the mix. does anyone know if i could reuse the bag tomorrow to use the mix that is left? ive cleaned it... thankyou!

    ReplyDelete