Monday 2 January 2012

10 years of living with diabetes

In December 2001, a week before Christmas I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I was 19, a student living in a shared house 300 miles from my recently estranged parents, and completely petrified. I started taking insulin injections twice a day and testing my blood sugar regularly, watching my diet (as much as a student does, anyway) and my weight ballooned (a side effect of the insulin). Since then it has been a major part of my life, and it always will be. My treatments have changed, sometimes requiring 4+ injections a day and even insulin/glucose IV infusions during my two pregnancies. It has been hard, physically and emotionally. When I get sick, it seems to last twice as long as it does for anyone else, and on a couple of occasions has had serious complications. Both of my pregnancies were hard work, and I was hospitalised 3 times with the first (remind me why I'm considering doing it again?). But I am relatively healthy for someone who has lived with type 1 diabetes for 10 years - and possibly longer. I have no problems with my circulation, my kidneys are functioning well and my eyes are just starting to show signs of diabetic retinopathy, which is being closely monitored and is treatable.

So, does my weight have any impact on this? It isn't what caused me to become diabetic, as most cases of diabetes linked with obesity are type 2, which is a completely different disease. But, it sure as hell doesn't help! When I lost weight in between having the two children I found I could significantly reduce my insulin doses to keep my blood sugar in control, and I'm finding the same now. Being more active now also makes a huge impact on my blood sugar levels. I know diabetes is a chronic condition and that I will live with it for the rest of my life, but it feels good that I am finally taking some control over it.

Hx

3 comments:

  1. Weight matters in insulin regulation, and clearly you know that. Living a healthy lifestyle will probably make the disease easier to live with.. Another great reason to shed those pounds! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever thought about an insulin pump?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a really incredible story, you sound like a really strong woman. It's lovely to hear that you're learning ways to take control and be in charge of your own body when you have such a strong competitor for the position. I have three diabetics in my family , and although two are type 2, the struggle that it causes is apparent. Thanks for sharing your successes here :) Best Wishes xx

    - Desperate Student

    ReplyDelete