Thursday 27 October 2011

Couch to 5K

Hi everyone,

Last night I went on my first ever proper "run" completely on my own without having to stop every two seconds because someone needs their nose wiped or has fallen off their scooter (and I'm only taking about Mr F-G-S here, never mind the children...) I stumbled across the Couch to 5k plan though a facebook friend, googled it and downloaded the app and podcasts straight away.



Basically, the plan is designed to get you from being a non-runner (sounds like a dodgy car...) to being able to run comfortably for half an hour in 9 short weeks. You run three times a week with a rest day inbetween. Week one starts off with a brisk warm up walk for 5 minutes, and then intervals of running for 60 seconds, then walking for 90 seconds for 20 minutes total, and then a cool down walk for another 5 minutes. Each week the running interval will increase slightly and eventually you'll be running the whole way...

I downloaded a podcast to my phone, where the C25k plan's creator Robert Ullrey talks you through the plan, tells you when to run and walk, and plays some good running music, but there is also an app available that you can set to your own music - and you get a "beep" when it's time for the next interval. I used the podcast last night, but think when I go again over the weekend I'll use my own music and only use the podcasts for the first run of each week.

I found it surprisingly liberating running on my own, in the dark at my own pace, and the route I took was 1.6 miles - or about 3k. It'll be interesting to see if I get to the full 30 minutes (about 5k - hence the name) in the 9 weeks - but you can also repeat a week if you're not sure you can manage the next one. It's all about going at your own pace, which is great for me. Now as long as I get time to do it each week (Mr F-G-S works some evenings although I could do it with the pram) and don't end up injuring myself I think I could really get into it. We'll see! I'll also have to get myself some new trousers, as I spent my "running" intervals holding my joggers up so they wouldn't fall down!

You can read more about the plan here and download the podcasts here.

Have you tried this? What did you think?

Hx

2 comments:

  1. I've heard of the C25K from other bloggers. Congrats on taking it up. Good luck with it.
    I may try it when I get a few more pounds off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried it, .. well, that is.. I did the "Week 1, day 1" work out, but I'm too heavy. My knees and shins did not like me running one bit. So until I've lost some more weight I have to do other things... but one day!! :D

    ReplyDelete